Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Beginning

I've come to realize that there are a LOT of people in this world (sadly) who know nothing about Autism or what it is. While it may not be my job to educate them on what it is, it's my job to love and protect Thomas and do the best I can for him. If that means educating a few people along the way....then so be it! So I thought I'd write a few series of blogs, maybe one a day or a few a day depending on time starting from the beginning. Everything is based on my belief and what holds true for Thomas and what we have seen. Granted his situation is different having a twin, all Autistic children are different and he is unique within himself. So I'll start with the day he was born:

January 30, 2006: This was 5 weeks before their due date and they were scheduled for a c-section on Valentines Day. I however woke up that morning with a numb face, some slight drooling, bad headache and it wasn't getting any better. We arrived at Pitt Memorial Hospital about 35-40 minutes away from my home to meet my Dr who was going to just check me out. Of course, my BP was slightly elevated so I had to stay. When the labs were redrawn apparently I was in some trouble and so it was go time. At 10:32 and 10:34 PM Thomas and his twin sister were born. Thomas was first, but he was taken away without either of us seeing him. They bagged him immediately and took him to the NICU where he stayed for 22 days. In the NICU he was stuck numerous times with IV's where he got fluids and antibiotics. He had IV's in his hands, feet and even in his little head. He weighed all of 5lbs (large for twins) but he was so sick even from day one.

We brought his twin sister home on Valentines Day. Not long after I got her home the NICU called to tell me that Thomas had spiked a fever and no one knew why. They informed me that they needed my consent to do a spinal tap. I asked if I should come back to the hospital (45 minutes away). They told me they wouldn't allow me in the room with him and that the Doctor would call after it was performed. I sat and cried for probably a good hour, part of me felt guilty that we had brought his sister all the way home. If we had just waited a little longer I would have at least still been at the hospital with him when this was done. He had a Staph infection from changing the IV's and drawing blood so many times. When he finally got to come home Thomas had just come off of room air, but was breathing well on his own.

This was just the beginning of his story and there is much, much more. Many people believe that vaccinations have a lot to do with Autism. I for one don't believe that because I had both Thomas and his sister vaccinated at the same time, sometimes at the very same time and she is perfectly healthy. Neither she nor Thomas ever had a side effect from vaccinations. Instead I believe that it is genetic and that he also had such a difficult delivery, lost a lot of oxygen and struggled those first few days. I think that all of those things played a big role in who he is today. Would I have changed a thing about going to the hospital knowing what I know now? I don't know, I can't say. Thomas is who he is, I wouldn't change that or him. If keeping all of the bad things away meant going back and risking my own health and life, then I'd go back. But we hope for the best and often prepare for the worst. This is just the beginning and the best is yet to come!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

don't know much about Autism, but hopefully every person that has it, has as great life, and appreciate the time and relationships they build in life....